Saturday 2 January 2010

Accidental half marathons and new goals

Xmas break is all but over and, delightfully, I managed to stay on point and not drop my training regime - although did have to modify it.  I spent Xmas in Vegas and, thankfully, the MGM has a great gym (even if it did cost me $15 a day for the privilege).   Four of the six days I was there I worked out, a little on the treadmill (which I really really loathe) and on the stairmaster (which I really really love).
Arriving home I then proceeded to run the "accidental half marathon"!  I had mapped a route to run 11 miles, this based around dropping the rental car back and creating a loop with the car yard as my start point.  Hmmm, so slight hitch with the car and I ended up starting the run from home and slightly altering the route along the way.  Good grief about 3/4 of the way in it occurred to me that this wasn't going to be a 11 mile run - but what do you do?  You are already out there???  So I just kept to the path and ended up doing  12.8 miles (not far short of the half).  I did feel really great though, it wasn't until the last mile that I began to feel some real discomfort (and my pace dropped accordingly) - still I ran it in just over 2hrs so that's made me optimistic for the actual half in February.
I am back seeing Case and our second (and last work out for 2009) turned into a big one.  Case bought along the weight vest and we proceeded to put me through a very high intensity work out wearing, what he claimed at the time, 10lbs in the vest.   I really should have picked it, especially when I started to do the box jump and very near smashed into the damn thing....need to jump a little higher/explosively when wearing the vest.  Didn't give up though and mastered three sets.  At the end of the work out we get me and the vest on the scales.....17lbs thanks very much.....even Case was shocked - we both laughed though because he even had me doing lunges with two additional 10lb weights and added a 25lbs weight to my plank (not giving up, not giving up, not giving up).  Delightfully we also discovered I'd lost another 3.5lbs and 2% body fat over the last three weeks, this startled both of us.  This also prompted a discussion around new goals for 2010.  I've still got my heart set on the NYC Marathon in November so we discussed what would be an optimal weight goal.  Case thinks if I lose another 5lbs then that would be awesome (his words)...so new goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment