Thursday 22 October 2009

Feel the fear and try not to panic

Two weeks back I had a terrible workout where we were training in the weight room and it was really humid.  I was working really hard (cardio and weights) when I literally felt like I couldn't breathe.  For the first time ever I had to stop the training and go outside to calm down.....kind of like a panic attack (although I've never had one before, so I am guessing).  I've never had anything like that before.  A week later I was doing another cardio session and it was like my body remembered and I had to pause again.  It really freaked me out.  My head knows/knew that there was plenty of oxygen but my mind body connection was going haywire.  Cos I'm not proud (well actually because I am proud and hated feeling like I wasn't able to control my mind/body) I asked a couple of people at work who workout a lot if they had any strategies. Two good pieces of advice - ignore anything that freaks you out and a breathing exercise. Combining these two strategies while Case putting me through a workout tonight (that included the freaky burpee exercises)  I willed myself not to think about panicking (well I don't know if that's what actually happened but that's what I was aiming for) and focused on the breathing exercise.  I can't say I was entirely comfortable but I didn't panic and feel my confidence returning.  Long may I never experience that feeling again!

No comments:

Post a Comment