Saturday 5 December 2009

Today I showed up

My race is done.....it was remarkable, nerve-wracking and a great thing to do, I will do more.  The stats are important because what's measured matters.  1hr 05 total run - I didn't break 1hr (a little part of me is disappointed....) but I beat my best by 6+mins, I'll reconcile it.  84th in a field of 213, boys and girls (beating boys matters to me, it's an Army thing, when you are me in the Army it was always tough to beat boys).  4th in my age group of 21 - Case had me see this matters, his text "4th outta 21? WOW...now thats what im talking about....CONGRATS..." ends "yay Jody".  It was cold, really cold....I had to decide to run with my running jacket - point being that when you begin you have to decide a whole lot of things, how you dress being one, I didn't regret it.  I got to see the 1st and 2nd place runners come in from the 50k and 50mile runs, remarkable - I didn't get to see the first women come in but I did hear two women next to me talk about wanting to see them too - I would have stayed but I was cold and had run the event with no support at the end, I wanted to go home, needed to get warm so I left.  It was grand and it was fun and it was unexpected.
Half marathon in Feb - I'll bring some pals to help, it would be nice to share in the moment, but if they can't come (they would have today to btw, but it wasn't possible), then I'll do it again, just me and love it.

2 comments:

  1. too funny....just got in from 9k run and picked up yr comment on my blog...so of course being nosy ended up here. 1hr 05 for 10k is good, that's about what I'm averaging. I'm aiming for the "Round the Bays" 1/2 marathon late February...but having trouble at this point pushing my distance beyond 12k in training, hopefully holidays will help.

    Being an Army brat my ears perked up at the mention of the A word, so guess I will have to trawl yr blog history to get all the background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo way to run, Round the Bays will be a nice jaunt! Army brat - nice! Good luck trawling, check out my other blogs to get the real life download (given I'm busy reading yours, seems only fair).

    ReplyDelete